Sunday, September 30, 2012

Frozen Peanut Butter Fluff Cups

Peanut Butter. My third favorite dessert right behind caramel and chocolate! I have always been so thankful that I am not one of the millions of people that have a peanut allergy! I guess if I had been born with it, I would never know what I was missing ... but besides that, it is just rough to have a peanut allergy. Almost everything comes in contact with peanuts. I like to read the back of labels on things and it amazes how many times I see something that could be dangerous for someone with a peanut allergy. Yes, I am very thankful!
I love peanut butter on almost anything ... it's just a great ingredient to bake with! I love how it starts off all smooth and creamy and then gets even smoother and creamier as it melts! I love 'melty' peanut butter. mmm.
This is a recipe I found a couple of years ago when I first started doing Weight Watchers. My family enjoys having a dessert after dinner and we were looking for some low point but tasty desserts. I really enjoy this one in the summer because it is nice and refreshing on those hot days ... but I'm finding it works pretty well in the fall too. Well, if you can even call this fall!!! It is almost October and we're still having temperatures in the 80's ... it's annoying! ha ha Regardless, my mom and sister requested this dessert yesterday while I was in my baking mood because it is a family favorite!!
If you like cold treats with a creamy peanut butter taste ... this recipe is for you! Enjoy!!

Frozen Peanut Butter Fluff Cups
4 1/2 sheets of graham crackers, crumbled
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie tub margarine, melted
2 cups reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
1 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 small box reduced-calorie instant vanilla pudding mix
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie strawberry spread (optional) (I don't use this when I make them)

Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. (or you could use 24 mini cups)
In small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted margarine. Press about 1 tablespoon of mixture into bottom of each cup. Top each 'crust' with about 2 teaspoons of whipped topping.
In a large mixing bowl combine milk and peanut butter. Blend with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
Add pudding mix; beat until blended, about 1 minute. Fold in remaining whipped topping.
Distribute evenly among muffin cups. Top with 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry spread, if desired.
Freeze several hours or overnight.
To serve, allow cups to be at room temperature about 1 minute. Peel off muffin liner and let stand at room temperature about 5 minutes to soften slightly. Enjoy!

*My Notes*

The first couple of times I made this recipe I used a 12 slot muffin pan ... but this time I chose to use a 24 slot mini muffin pan. Everything worked just the same, you just have to distribute the whipped topping and peanut butter fluff into more cups. I thought it might be a little difficult using a small muffin cup, but it actually wasn't very hard at all. We eat ours frozen, so using the mini muffin cup helped with it not melting so much before you can eat it!
When I make these I do not use the strawberry spread because I like the peanut butter by itself. I have never tried using the spread, so I cannot comment on how it tastes. My family enjoys eating them frozen because they are easier to pick up. You can let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes though and eat them with a spoon. It is just a matter of preference!





















No comments:

Post a Comment